vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: General :: General :: Your first forum? - View Topic (Page 1 of 2)Page: 1 2
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
slip

Additional Groups:
Design Team

pmmsn
Your first forum? (18th Mar 09 at 1:39pm UTC)
What was your first forum like? What was the first forum you joined?? {Smile}
darkdays
Re: Your first forum? (18th Mar 09 at 10:41pm UTC)
The first forum I joined was the Official Harry Potter forum.

What it was like.. well, usually I only went into the fanfic area.. so I read one.. that went over 100 pages! {Tongue Out} I was addicted, and was like everyone else in that thread.. "Post more! Post more!"
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: Your first forum? (19th Mar 09 at 12:40am UTC)
I think the first ever forum I joined (and was active on) was for a game (which was in development at the time) called "Middle Earth Online". It ran the vBulletin software, I believe I spent a fair amount of my time there either reading updates from their development team or in their games board. While there I joined a "Kinship" (their term for Clans/Factions) so spent a lot of time on their forum as well as the forums of other friendly kinships.

RuhRoe

pmxfire
Re: Your first forum? (19th Mar 09 at 12:47am UTC)
Middle Earth was fun.

The first forum I joined was a proboards one called "Sniper Dream Team Mod". A halo map/game modification for the pc.

After that I found proboards, made a couple forums, and then I went to Vforums {Smile}
Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (19th Mar 09 at 3:54am UTC)
ProBoards was my first forum provider, a friend had shown me it, and encouraged me to make a forum, so I made one, that forum started out fair, but not as good as my second forum. My second forum is Final Fantasy Nation (Which is now on this service) Lasted about 4 years strong, then suddenly died, and by died I mean 500 people with over 4,000 posts total, suddenly crashed and burned, then came Forbidden Reunion, my 3rd most successful forum. I had other forums that just never made it past 10 members.

But all in all, FFN and FR were my most successful forums, but all died later on. FFN is about 6 years old now, and FR is 3.

What about you Slip?
slip

Additional Groups:
Design Team

pmmsn
Re: Your first forum? (19th Mar 09 at 3:29pm UTC)
Ok kids - history lesson. {Tongue Out}

I joined Proboards in 2005 looking for forums on the TV Show, Charmed - cos I am a huge fan. So I found the Charmed Cafe forum [very huge - over 7000 members]. Was an active member for almost a year and a half - made tons of friends (who I am still in touch with today - including one of my best friends - lily - she is from Holland). Then I got together a bunch of us and started my first forum - LLAMA - it was a general forum. ran a couple of months - then one of my staff members took a bunch of the staff and basically started her own general forum using same boards and topics and stuff from LLAMA. that pissed me off. Me and my coadmin lily shut LLAMA and then restarted it at a new location on PB. Both avatars of LLAMA made it to 8000-10000 posts and about 70-100 members. The second LLAMA forum died out in early 07. By early 06 I had joined Studio Zero - that was my first major gfx/coding forum I was a part of - love it to death and Chris is just awesome. Been a part of the staff team there twice (2nd time currently). When I won the PBS skin contest in end 07 I gave SZ one of the two Proboards website featured spots I had won. Meanwhile I was also staff at Roddy Innovations - Scorpy's forum but that died out. Early 07 i joined ProVision and that has been such a ride - Peter made me mod and then up, up and now I admin the forum. I got together with another friend of mine (again from Holland - hellfrost) - in early 07 we started a scifi forum called THE NODE on PB - ran a few months - died out cos I had no time. THE NODE will be returning shortly on VF as a full-fledged SciFi Forum. Then I made lots of aweseom frnds on ProV too - amor, sissy, car - love these guys to death. We made a Harry Potter forum in mid 07 = Avada Kedavra - that died after a few months cos we didn;t have enough time. Meanwhile in 07 became friends with dweggie ( Smiley ) - then in early 08 I started State of Sound on PB. Smiley it - its my baby although I need to be more active {Tongue Out} . Then I joined VFS and Rossy's team in mid 08 I think.
Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (19th Mar 09 at 8:18pm UTC)
That's very cool Slip. {Grin}
slip

Additional Groups:
Design Team

pmmsn
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 3:39pm UTC)
yush it is -what abt the others? marc? graham? frufru? dreg?
Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 6:25pm UTC)

I wanna know too!! {Sad}

Btw I still like these smiles Smiley Some need to be animated though...
Jason

[Avatar]
www.random-image.net

Additional Groups:
Spell Checker

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 7:49pm UTC)

Me? Well it was back in '03 and it was a Harry Potter RPG that had "Hogwarts" spelled wrong in the URL {Tongue Out}

But yeah, at that time I was briefly a member of CoSforums, offered people help with their forums, and was invited to that particular one. I did a lot of stuff to keep it running, and also did some work on its web site as well. Eventually the admin disappeared for some reason still unknown, and I took over. Unfortunately it eventually died. I don't have the skillz to maintain user interest {Tongue Out}

As for the first forum I created, it was some weird attempt at a HP forum back in... mid-2002. It's now a test forum {Tongue Out}

Image Randomizers - official vForums partner
^ Live stats {Grin} ^
Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 9:21pm UTC)
I created my first forum on Proboards in 2004, it was a personal forum to go along with one of my sites. My next forum experience was in 2006, when my friend asked me to join his wrestling forum. He asked me if I could code some stuff for him, knowing that I'd created a few sites in the past. Unfortunately I didn't know JavaScript at the time, so I joined Proboards Support to learn it. My friend moved his forum to Invision a short while later, and I put my attention on Proboards Support. I joined a few other forums as time went on; eCreations, Digital Inflection (which I was a moderator of for a long time, and also Senior Staff for a short period), Roddy Innovations (which I modded), Studio Zero, SoCal, and a few others. I also created a few forums; one for the movies my friends and I used to create, as well as a coding/graphics forum a while later. Eventually Frufru linked me to VFS, and after poking around for about a week I decided to leave Proboards and spend all my forum time here. {Smile}

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
Graham
Support Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwww
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 11:04pm UTC)
Wow, this'll take some remembering :x

March 2004 was my first forum signup - a YaBB board run by and for, members of Mega-Zine; a Teletext letters page which had a devoted following. I joined the Yahoo group of it first then joined the forum. I still post there occasionally but don't really frequent it anymore as it's quite clique-y; most of the members know each other in real life...though i did meet my girlfriend through it so i can't say anything bad about it {Tongue Out}
In 2005 a member there made a 'breakaway' forum from it on the PB software and i joined up - about 3 months after he handed the reins over to me as he had no time. I then signed up on PBS to get help on coding/support etc.
From then i looked at a lot of different forums to find affiliates, etc. I've got accounts on pretty much all the big PB forums even though i rarely visit: SI, SSD, eCreations, Roddy, SoCal. Out of all the forums i joined, i made the staff on a few: FTA (i'm an admin there now), OTW (mod there), State Of Sound (mod too), Admin Training Center (left). I had a Pink Floyd fan forum for about a year but a lack of activity and not having the time or resources to compete with the bigger floyd forums (some had big music databases for members to trade over, while others had direct contact with their record label) it died out. I still go on it occasionally.

It was eCreations that led me to here and about a month or so after signing up and being active Ross made me a mod of the general board...probably hoping me to carry on my level of activity {Lips Sealed}

So, you wanted my 'first' forum and you've almost got my entire forum history there {Tongue Out}
ajay
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 11:17pm UTC)
I think it was probably vForums Support. No Seriously, it is.
Alex Bailey

pmmsnaim
Re: Your first forum? (20th Mar 09 at 11:26pm UTC)
Okay well in 2003 I joined high school and some of the people in the year above me had their own forum on proboards {Tongue Out} And i wanted in, and because I didn't know much about proboards they let me join, soon after I hacked it hahah (Guessed the admins password, was like the name of the site or soemthing) Anyway, I ended up making my own forum, I use to visit SSD all the time for codes and stuff, Left proboards few months later. Rejoined in 07, came to SoCal and was a n00b and requested all the time, joined a few more forums like DigitalD, SZ etc. Made my own forum Nightsystem, left forums for a bit after getting to know a few people, and now just post about on TalkPark {Smile}

ting-tong2k6@hotmail.com
blanka

[Avatar]

pm
Re: Your first forum? (21st Mar 09 at 1:30am UTC)
kk so I wrote this like in 2 secs cuz I got homework to do. lawlz.

While I was looking for a good comic website (didn't even know what a forum is back then), I stumble across my first ever forum that I joined, KMC forums. This was during the summer of 06. It's one of the top 40 (in size) general forum out there. I was so addicted to it that I got 8000 posts in less than a year. There's lots of stuff missing really.

Then in early 07, one of the member on KMC forums made a forum on the ProBoards service. Now being that I was addicted to forums, I decided to make my own, called CG forums. Didn't go off anywhere really, died in less than 2 weeks. Then I got interested in graphics so I joined many graphic sites in 07 such as Dx5, SZ, G101 , ExDat, Doodle Graphics and a couple others.

Later in summer of 08, I got confident with my web design skills so I created in Digital-D (it was only my 4th skin too). That forum was gave me a pretty fun experience plus I got $100 from 2 clients there too. That died after about 2 months. Then after awhile became staff at wRcreations which I must say was my biggest forum achievement ever Couple weeks later I was staff at vFs for awhile but since I got addicted to CoD4; I didn't have enough time to be active.

Then alex and I teamed up to make pD after wRcreations got boring and closed. The process of making pD was fun for awhile but it got boring after like 2 weeks so with little motivation at all we opened pD. Died in a month or too because there simply too much flame wars on there and the lack of coders on vF. So bascially after that I stopped posting on forums.

What am I doing now though? Working on a new forum on vF. =P *wink*

Printable View
Page: 1 2