vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: System Improvements :: Suggestions :: Shared Administrator Account - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
ashkir

[Avatar]

pmtwitterskypemsnyahoo
Shared Administrator Account (29th Mar 11 at 6:48am UTC)
The account "admin" is desired to have shared access constantly due to the name being, well, "admin" and because it cannot just be one "user". (Why should it just be one when it is a shared board effort?)

I am wondering, are there any plans for a feature to lock down the "delete site" function, "delete admins", or strip admin's ranks on a shared board. We never know if one admin has a weak password, and we don't want to get badly damaged.

I am also thinking a way to lock down password editing on the main admin account, or allow only certain usernames to change it.

Edit: Or is there a way to "hide" the main administrator account so nobody can access it, as in lock it down and remove it from the member list?
Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: Shared Administrator Account (29th Mar 11 at 2:19pm UTC)

The account "admin" is desired to have shared access constantly due to the name being, well, "admin" and because it cannot just be one "user". (Why should it just be one when it is a shared board effort?)

I am wondering, are there any plans for a feature to lock down the "delete site" function, "delete admins", or strip admin's ranks on a shared board. We never know if one admin has a weak password, and we don't want to get badly damaged.

I am also thinking a way to lock down password editing on the main admin account, or allow only certain usernames to change it.

Edit: Or is there a way to "hide" the main administrator account so nobody can access it, as in lock it down and remove it from the member list?

As far as I know, no. The reason for this is because the "admin" account is like a computer's superuser account; an account that has access to everything and can control everything. Taking away the main admin's functionality voids the point of the main admin account.

If you're worried about it, the best thing to do would be to name the admin account something like "ForumName Staff", give it a very long password with random letters/numbers/etc, not give access to anyone else, and only use it when using functionality that only the main admin has. {Smile}

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
 Printable View