vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: General :: General :: Building a Computer - View Topic (Page 2 of 2)Page: 1 2
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
tricky.cb

[Avatar]

pmwwwmsngtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:03am UTC)
Thanks {Cheesy} I was just randomly throwing what I thought looked good together anyways {Tongue Out}

Garet

pmmsnyahooaimgtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:26am UTC)
A p35 chipset for the motherboard is a must in my opinion.

Motherboard: ASUS P5KC Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1333MHz DDR3 1333MHz ATX Motherboard

Can be found herehere

$129.00

Processor: Intel q6600 Quad core 2.4GHZ
Can be found here
$254.50

Case: http://www.xoxide.com is a great source for cases. I'd recommend really an antec case they seem to be built very well. Also coolermasters i've heard people talking about those as well.

Graphics Card: G-Force 8800GTX 768MB
Can be found here
$389.99

Harddrive: Have it set up as a raid striped is the best way to go especially if you ever have hard drive problems. if you get two or three hd's and have them striped when one goes out you won't lose all your information. {Wink}

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatality Pro Series Sound Card
can be found
here

$122.98

Memory:
1GB Ballestix memory
can be found
here
$189.99

That right there is $1086.12 plus what ever tax may be. This is not factoring in the harddrive or the case. I recommended that asus board because my gaming friends have told me about how well it performs and it was on the top for a while for the tom's hardware list.

The q6600 processor i personally use and must say it was the best choice i've made yet. I can play a game, render a movie, and burn a dvd all at once and even with the right cooling overclocking it.

The customers that come in tell me about the 8800gtx i personally don't use it but i hear it's phenomenal in graphics. I currently use the radeon x1650 Platnium edition so i could'nt tell you much about performance.

That soundcard i use personally and like it a lot i have 12 speakers connected to it through a extra addon and the sound quality is amazing plus it was another one i found off a consumer reports list.

All together though this is a crazy machine if you'd like a lower price i can do that and Marc i'd like to hear your opinion on this.

edit: If you take the model numbers you might also be able to find lower prices for those parts

Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:32am UTC)
I've tried both the Intel quad-core as well as the AMD quad-core in some controlled tests with my comp. engineering teacher, and we found AMD to far outperform Intel, so I would rather suggest the AMD Opteron Quad-Core. {Wink}

Other than that everything seems to be good; I would suggest an Alienware case though, just cause they look sexy. {Tongue Out}

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
Garet

pmmsnyahooaimgtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:37am UTC)

I've tried both the Intel quad-core as well as the AMD quad-core in some controlled tests with my comp. engineering teacher, and we found AMD to far outperform Intel, so I would rather suggest the AMD Opteron Quad-Core. {Wink}

Other than that everything seems to be good; I would suggest an Alienware case though, just cause they look sexy. {Tongue Out}

Huh really that is interesting. I split off of amd because of a major problem i had with a processor and kept having. I will have to look into that one. Yes though them alienware cases are sexy.

tricky.cb

[Avatar]

pmwwwmsngtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:41am UTC)
That's quite the pricy graphics card {Shocked} I was also going to get 2 (2-Gig) Sticks. I like to be able to do many things at once.

Garet

pmmsnyahooaimgtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 4:44am UTC)
Yeah i would agree it's quite pricy but the faster performing ones tend to be above $250.00 i'll search around on tomshardware.com and several other places and see if i can find any other high performing ones.

Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 11:06am UTC)

Huh really that is interesting. I split off of amd because of a major problem i had with a processor and kept having. I will have to look into that one. Yes though them alienware cases are sexy.

Was this with the quad core? I know they were a bit buggy when they were first released, but there's been a few hardware fixes since the release.

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
Garet

pmmsnyahooaimgtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 3:22pm UTC)
I found that i had problems with the amd athlon processor when i was using it went through three of them due to hardware failures. Then switched to the AMD semperon which seemed to work fine for my test machine. Havent played around with the dual or quadcore amd's but it may be time to get another machine soon lol {Grin} .

Jake

<(o.O<) (>O.o)>

pmwwwmsn
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 3:25pm UTC)
I thought of making my own computer, but I'm not doing that till I get a good job that pays well, {Tongue Out}

tricky.cb

[Avatar]

pmwwwmsngtalk
Re: Building a Computer (27th Mar 08 at 9:18pm UTC)
I'll be considering parts from what you've shown me, but the only thing I may really change is the graphics card and the memory sticks.

tricky.cb

[Avatar]

pmwwwmsngtalk
Re: Building a Computer (28th Mar 08 at 9:25pm UTC)
I talked with my mom about doing this today, and she told me I had to wait till summer. So instead I'll be buying an iPhone, so if you'd like you can close this topic.

Printable View
Page: 1 2