vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: Programming & Coding :: Code Requests & Support :: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" - View Topic (Page 1 of 2)Page: 1 2
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
CåñåÐå™

[Avatar]

pmwww
Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (8th Oct 09 at 3:41am UTC)
Resolved
What i'm looking for is an pop up that would let anyone who log's in to my forum . What the new posts are.

Like when they login an pop up with samething like "Forum New Post" whatever it may. Then they click "Ok" and its the last they see of it until they or whoever log's in some other time.

click here We have 15 Different Skins/Templates for your vForum
CåñåÐå™

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (7th Nov 09 at 10:53am UTC)
Anyone??

CåñåÐå™

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (17th Apr 10 at 3:57pm UTC)
Wrighty i've had this since Oct bro. Can you let me if it can be done or not ?

If it can , maybe you can do it please.

Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (17th Apr 10 at 4:36pm UTC)
I don't think it can be done, Unless done by JavaScript, The API system, and a 3rd party site, and I'm not sure how to do that, only on 1st visit. I can make it where someone can click on a button and it'll send them to that site, or a pop up will come up and show the most recent posts. But then again, anyone can have: http://support.virtualforums.co.uk/action/recent as a pop up. {Smile} Like this: http://dmtesting.vforums.co.uk/

But I don't think that is good really. I am not totally sure how to do it. But I do have some of an idea, for the first suggestion.

But hopefully someone can do better than I can.
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (17th Apr 10 at 11:42pm UTC)
it COULD be done through the API actually, I didn't see this (or wasn't around at the time that you posted it!) so sorry firstly.

The API should (from memory) tell us the last time that the user logged in, so we can check that against the list of the posts that were made ... It's possible, but not something I can take on RIGHT now as I unfortunately don't have the time to .. but I will look into it, and perhaps if I get bored sometime over the next week or that, I'll do it.

Feel free to bug me to do it {Smile}
dog199200
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 1:46am UTC)
yes it can be done with the API and rather a lot easier then how Michael makes it sound. The problem is where do you want this, on the forum or on an external website? Because i've tried to call aspect from the API into the forum and they don't work. The forum system rejects any kind of PHP, even if they are being called from an external source as part of an javascript code. Though I assume if it was done in AJAX it could work, but i'm not sure if the API would still function right considering.
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 2:30am UTC)
Posted By dog199200 on 18th Apr 10 at 1:46am

yes it can be done with the API and rather a lot easier then how Michael makes it sound. The problem is where do you want this, on the forum or on an external website? Because i've tried to call aspect from the API into the forum and they don't work. The forum system rejects any kind of PHP, even if they are being called from an external source as part of an javascript code. Though I assume if it was done in AJAX it could work, but i'm not sure if the API would still function right considering.

He wants it displaying on the forum, and it'd be easy to do with the API {Smile}
dog199200
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 6:41am UTC)
{Tongue Out} Like i've said the API don't work when trying to call the information onto the forum {Tongue Out} I tried to use the API to do a login check when I was designing an IM system for vF. I got the bar and suff to work, but any information that was being called via the API would break instantly. Even though the files where only being called from an external site, and not on the forum itself. Honestly if you know something I don't, i'd love to know because there have been several codes that I have wanted to have fragments called from. As far a si know, anything with PHP in it is rejected {Tongue Out} but i'm no expert, i might be missing something.
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 10:43am UTC)
Posted By dog199200 on 18th Apr 10 at 6:41am

{Tongue Out} Like i've said the API don't work when trying to call the information onto the forum {Tongue Out} I tried to use the API to do a login check when I was designing an IM system for vF. I got the bar and suff to work, but any information that was being called via the API would break instantly. Even though the files where only being called from an external site, and not on the forum itself. Honestly if you know something I don't, i'd love to know because there have been several codes that I have wanted to have fragments called from. As far a si know, anything with PHP in it is rejected {Tongue Out} but i'm no expert, i might be missing something.

It's not hard to do, just call it through as JS? {Unsure}
dog199200
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 4:42pm UTC)
Tried that, it would kill any of the functions that were done in PHP and keep just the JS functions. The JS was for the display which it was the display files that where being called. Within the display files everything else was called, which was PHP. On an external website the codes worked perfectly, but when called into a forum all the PHP that was part of the API would just stopped working. I also know the problem isn't a cross domain problem since I have my forum set as a sub-domain on my primary domain. Well idk, if you can get it to work then best of luck to you XD
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 5:09pm UTC)
Posted By dog199200 on 18th Apr 10 at 4:42pm

Tried that, it would kill any of the functions that were done in PHP and keep just the JS functions. The JS was for the display which it was the display files that where being called. Within the display files everything else was called, which was PHP. On an external website the codes worked perfectly, but when called into a forum all the PHP that was part of the API would just stopped working. I also know the problem isn't a cross domain problem since I have my forum set as a sub-domain on my primary domain. Well idk, if you can get it to work then best of luck to you XD

It's really not that hard to do {Tongue Out}
CåñåÐå™

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 8:19pm UTC)

it COULD be done through the API actually, I didn't see this (or wasn't around at the time that you posted it!) so sorry firstly.

The API should (from memory) tell us the last time that the user logged in, so we can check that against the list of the posts that were made ... It's possible, but not something I can take on RIGHT now as I unfortunately don't have the time to .. but I will look into it, and perhaps if I get bored sometime over the next week or that, I'll do it.

Feel free to bug me to do it {Smile}

Ok i can wait , since i've waited all this time {Smile} .

@ Darkmage and Broken thanks for your help.

But i'll hang in until Michael can have time since he knows how to do it.

Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (18th Apr 10 at 8:28pm UTC)
Alright. {Smile}
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (8th May 10 at 11:31pm UTC)
Right, I have this working... looks rather awesome if I'm honest with you...
What I have it doing at the moment is run on a separate page "/action/new" that you will have to navigate to. It will show the 20 latest posts that you have on that forum. Also, it won't show new posts made from your account, nor since you last checked the "new post" page. {Smile}

One thing is that this will be using the API, so you will be required to provide your API code. This is something that I can't help unfortunately. If you're not comfortable with this, then there isn't a remedy, however if you are, can you PM me your forum URL & API code (you can set one within the forum settings).

I will then post the code here for you to test/try, and I will also register on your forum to test it.
CåñåÐå™

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Would This Be Possible "Pop Up" (9th May 10 at 1:52am UTC)
Ok cool .

Going to separate page wouldn't be a problem . And with it only showing again once a new post is made is what i want .

ok pm done.

Printable View
Page: 1 2