vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: Programming & Coding :: Programming Discussion :: Biggest Project? - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
dog199200
Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 10:30am UTC)
Ello everyone,

I know a good amount of people here on the site have programming skills, some more then others. But how many of you have actually don't a lot of work with SQL in general? I know Ross, Marc, and Michael all should have a great deal of experience in SQL. I actually love working with SQL in regards to PHP cause it makes the programming far more flexible then it already is. {Smile} though I can't seem to get my games website to connect to my games servers database which is rather annoying but ill figure it out sooner or later.

So to start the topic what is the BIGGEST project that you have ever worked on? (Ross, vF doesn't count {Tongue Out} ). This will give us a bit of a chance to get to know the programming history (if any) of our new staff {Wink}

~D
Graham
Support Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwww
Re: Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 1:11pm UTC)
I dont work on the programming side of things, but i am helping project manage a client side progress report, which allows all our clients to interact with us and their project through a portal - concepts can be posted, deadlines fixed/changed and documents traded.
Another is our client database system - this keeps details of all our clients, we can generate quotes that export via pdf for our clients, give us forecasts for sales, keep a track of domain/hosting renewals and autofire invoices for those on monthly deals...it basically runs the company {Tongue Out}

But as for programming? Hardly any - i can't code that well {Sad}
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 2:28pm UTC)
If vF doesn't count then it would have to be our content management system. That's something Stu (Penguin) & I built together. And even if I do say so myself, it is a smexi bit of code {Cool}

Our customer management system is in need of a lot of work. It keeps breaking data it is supposed to be storing {Lips Sealed} (something is going wrong when encrypting it to store in the database). Fixing it is somewhere on the to-do list {Unsure}

Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 7:21pm UTC)
iDirectory is mine. But Dwight does most of the work. I need to learn SQL and PHP. {Tongue Out}
Graham
Support Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwww
Re: Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 8:59pm UTC)

If vF doesn't count then it would have to be our content management system. That's something Stu (Penguin) & I built together. And even if I do say so myself, it is a smexi bit of code {Cool}

Our customer management system is in need of a lot of work. It keeps breaking data it is supposed to be storing {Lips Sealed} (something is going wrong when encrypting it to store in the database). Fixing it is somewhere on the to-do list {Unsure}

Have you got a demo of it?
dog199200
Re: Biggest Project? (31st Oct 10 at 9:17pm UTC)

iDirectory is mine. But Dwight does most of the work. I need to learn SQL and PHP. {Tongue Out}

Na you don't cause then I would get bored when I need to take a break away from DS XD

I dont work on the programming side of things, but i am helping project manage a client side progress report, which allows all our clients to interact with us and their project through a portal - concepts can be posted, deadlines fixed/changed and documents traded.
Another is our client database system - this keeps details of all our clients, we can generate quotes that export via pdf for our clients, give us forecasts for sales, keep a track of domain/hosting renewals and autofire invoices for those on monthly deals...it basically runs the company {Tongue Out}

But as for programming? Hardly any - i can't code that well {Sad}

Ah i see, actually that sounds rather cool. I'm going to be needed something like that as soon as my company gets off the ground more.

Ah well good luck getting it fixed XD that sounds interesting, but if you don't mind me asking what exactly are you using it for?

I should off added this in my first post but oh well. Divine Shadows is still my biggest project. I'm just finishing up a few things before I completely rebuild the registration system. though I can't rebuild my registration system till i figure out why either of my servers ain't allowing remote hosting {Unsure} oddly enough thats my own problem XD I can see it now: Michael-"Your programming is a mess!" as always {Tongue Out}
Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: Biggest Project? (1st Nov 10 at 12:21am UTC)
Hmm, well, since your post asks about the largest project ever worked on and not the biggest project ever created, it would easily have to be the backend system for my work. There's about 6 years of data, including a few hundred thousand sales, tens of thousands of customer profiles, about 500 products, etc.

The products are all stored on our main website's database, which connects to our other 3 websites that carry some of our brands. All of these products are also synced to our local "Whiteboard" as we call it, (which contains inventory information, order/pricing info, reports, etc) to automatically update quantities, prices, order arrival dates, etc.

The Whiteboard also acts as a sales system, so our custom-built cart for our sites also ties into that, as well as PayPal's API for processing sales.

Needless to say, it's a fairly complex system. I'm currently trying to convince my boss to have it valuated and possibly sell licenses for the system to other companies. {Cool}

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
dog199200
Re: Biggest Project? (1st Nov 10 at 2:59am UTC)
Hmm sounds interesting. I need to figure out how to work with the paypal api so i can build the credit purchasing system for my site XD I just finished the shop itself, though for some reason when i go into the cart and hit "Remove Selected" it removes all if nothing is selected XD

Marc@ since you've worked on a custom shop, mind if I get your opinion on the one I setup?
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Biggest Project? (1st Nov 10 at 8:58pm UTC)
The biggest for me is probably the ecommerce site that I made for a client that is due for launch this week when I make the final tweaks! {Shocked}
justin

pm
Re: Biggest Project? (1st Nov 10 at 9:36pm UTC)

The biggest for me is probably the ecommerce site that I made for a client that is due for launch this week when I make the final tweaks! {Shocked}

even bigger then wimg? {Shocked}
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: Biggest Project? (2nd Nov 10 at 9:22am UTC)
wImg wasn't that big! {Tongue Out}
justin

pm
Re: Biggest Project? (2nd Nov 10 at 3:34pm UTC)

wImg wasn't that big! {Tongue Out}

to some people it was {Sad}

Jason

[Avatar]
www.random-image.net

Additional Groups:
Spell Checker

pmwww
Re: Biggest Project? (6th Nov 10 at 1:32am UTC)
The biggest project of my own would definitely be my image randomizer service which is mostly coded in ASP and ASP.NET using a MS SQL Server database, with some minor components using PHP. It's almost at 7,000 registered users now (as you can see by the live stats in my sig), and really the only project of my own that I actively maintain right now (unfortunately school's kept me too busy to be coding new things for it {Sad} )

As part of my co-op experiences I've worked on a few huge projects including a large Response Management system (designed for big manufacturing companies and the sort), and was so large that even my manager in testing admitted he didn't totally understand it. The company even had a data server team which maintained THEIR OWN database system (not mySQL or SQL server or anything like that - it's a database system designed just for their software), with their own query engine and that sort of stuff. That was pretty fun. Some web apps/data systems that I've worked on when I was under co-op employment at my university were pretty large-scale as well....

Image Randomizers - official vForums partner
^ Live stats {Grin} ^
 Printable View