vForums Support Banner

Visit vForums

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: Programming & Coding :: Programming Discussion :: Dmoz.org - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
(¯`•Stormraven•._)

[Avatar]
CodersHangout.co.uk

pmwww
Dmoz.org (15th Apr 09 at 2:46am UTC)
Just wondered how many people here got into dmoz.org and how long it took you to get in? i made this thread on PB but thought id make it on here too. I managed to get into dmoz in under 2 months approx and the editors of dmoz branded my coding website a 'cool site' {Cheesy}

i cant believe how long its taken some people to get in, i heard its taken some people 9 months to get in.

Design and Programming Forums
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: Dmoz.org (16th Apr 09 at 11:39am UTC)
I remember that getting this place listed took nearly a year. I must have just kept getting overlooked. When one of their editors finally listed it they did appologise for it taking so long. So I guess I was just at the other extreme to you.

(¯`•Stormraven•._)

[Avatar]
CodersHangout.co.uk

pmwww
Re: Dmoz.org (16th Apr 09 at 11:46pm UTC)
I heard somewhere that the editors of dmoz take bribes, im not saying its right to bribe them but some maybe do, so other people may get listed before you.

It really shouldnt take that long to get into dmoz. It's a bit stupid, a whole year. have you ever managed to get any other site listed Ross?

Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: Dmoz.org (17th Apr 09 at 3:10pm UTC)

I heard somewhere that the editors of dmoz take bribes, im not saying its right to bribe them but some maybe do, so other people may get listed before you.

It really shouldnt take that long to get into dmoz. It's a bit stupid, a whole year. have you ever managed to get any other site listed Ross?

This place is the only one I've tried to get listed. A friend of mine has submitted lots of sites to it, with the most recent he seemed shocked that it had got listed in 7 months as many have taken a year.

gray929

[Avatar]

pm
Re: Dmoz.org (21st Apr 09 at 11:28pm UTC)
I've been an editor on DMOZ for a little over a year now and a few times a month, I receive offers from people interested in paying to get their sites listed in one of my two categories. Some of them are very tempting and one side of me really wants to take them but then my conscience kicks in because I have yet to accept one. Most bribe offers are around $40 but someone offered me over $100. 

It is a really valuable BL to pick up so I'm not surprised at the bribes. In one of my categories which is the redirection category (for sites like tunyurl) I have almost 200 submissions to go through. And it takes a while to do even just 10. There is a lot of criteria it has to meet. You have to search the major parts of the site and make sure there is no broken codes and whatnot and that its not an affiliate site. Then you have to see if its user friendly, loads reasonably fast, not filled with ads, ect. If you reject it, you need to write the reason why you rejected it. I don't understand why because whether you accept/reject a site, the person who submitted it doesn't find out from us. 

I think thats the one suggestion I would have is a user notification system as to whether your site was accepted or rejected. 

Other than that, I can understand people being mad at DMOZ because of the time it takes to get into it, but other than that, the directory really is the best out there. It's the only web directory worth using imo. 

Need a Sig?
(¯`•Stormraven•._)

[Avatar]
CodersHangout.co.uk

pmwww
Re: Dmoz.org (24th Apr 09 at 5:22pm UTC)
I worked really hard on my website before submitting it, I had no broken links and my site is very SEO friendly so I'm so glad that I got acceptted as quick as I did. It's an important place to get your link.

I can understand how tempting it is for the bribes but it's important to refuse as it's not right {Cheesy} Do you enjoy being an editor of Dmoz Gray?

gray929

[Avatar]

pm
Re: Dmoz.org (28th Apr 09 at 12:50am UTC)
If your site is fluid, no broken codes, unique content, and user friendly, the editors really are not allowed to not approve you site because it has to be a legitimate reason other than 'In my opinion, the site doesn't deserve to be in the ODP'. If a few months have passed and you notice your site has not made into the ODP, you are allowed to contact the editor of the category to inquire as to what his or her reasoning was. But if you bug them about it, chances are they are willing to help you fix your site so it does become eligible.  To contact them, just click on the editors name at the bottom right of the category you submitted your site to and there is a link to contact them.

Being an editor is a lot of work, not going to lie. I do like it though because I get to see various amounts of unique sites and it helps me generate my own ideas as well as it feels good contributing to this global project. I only log on once a week though as I am always busy with school and such.  

Need a Sig?
(¯`•Stormraven•._)

[Avatar]
CodersHangout.co.uk

pmwww
Re: Dmoz.org (29th Apr 09 at 4:55pm UTC)
Thankyou for that useful information. They should have a page to tell people how to sort their site out to get it in faster, what do you think. I don't think they have one in place at the moment, well not that ive seen anyway lol.{Smile}

sarannan

pm
Re: Dmoz.org (30th May 09 at 7:08am UTC)
Note from Ash, please don't spam. Thank you.
 Printable View