vForums Support Banner

Welcome Guest! Please Login or Register
vForums Support :: Programming & Coding :: Programming Discussion :: What Programming Languages do you know? - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
BizzD

pm
What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 2:55am UTC)
:O
Just curious. Which ones do you know and explain how long it took you to learn it.
I know HTML, not difficult. I'm learning LUA.
dog199200
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 5:13am UTC)
what is LUA even used of{Confused}

~I know~

HTML/XML/CSS - Been programming with these since i was 13. It took me a while to learn actually, but I was also a lot younger.

PHP/MySQL - Been programming in PHP for the last year and still learning how everything works. Though I have been doing an extensive about of programming with MySQL lately, so i think i am finally getting the hang of it.

C# - 2 Years, took me about 6 months to get a stable foundation, but still am learning. My game engines scripting system reqires C#.

Visual Basic - Actually only took me about three week XD the Syntax is extremely easy. I started learning this about 2 years ago, i actually started messing with VB before any other .Net programming Languages.

C++ - I started learning C++ about a year ago, I started learning it cause the source code for the game engine is hard coded in C++ with a C# scripting component.

Python - I studies Python for about a month and was so confused. I started looking into is when i started working with Blender

RUBY - It look me a few months to learn. I had to learn RUBY cause my first game engine was scripted in it. (4 years ago)

Javascript - Simple put, my WORST PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE XD I give up on programming in JS, i fail every time XD

I know a few more programming languages, but they are so minor they ain't worth posting XD
Aiken

[Avatar]

pmtwitterskypemsnyahooxfire
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 11:45am UTC)
HTML/CSS - Too easy for me, I have never had a problem coding with these

Javascript - I have been having a lot of fun with this one even though sometimes I run into problems, but either I find a solution or somebody helps me which is a learning experience

PHP/MySQL - I still have alot to learn, I can do simple things but nothing big yet including working with databases using PHP

vF forums:
Perfect World RP
BLEACH Universe - Under Construction / Testing Phase
Xen Qarna RP - Stage I
Vyren Entar Battle Network RP - Under Construction / Maintenance Mode Enabled
the Final Anime Hideout
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 2:55pm UTC)
I consider myself proficient in PHP/Mysql and Javascript. I started learning Javascript something like 6 years ago, took me a good few months before I could start writing anything half decent. I found PHP a little easier since I already had knowledge of Javascript. But even now I don't know everything there is to know about them - I still have to refer to various resources in order to find out how to do particular things. I can also make minor changes/fixes to Perl, ASP and Actionscript but wouldn't say I really know them {Tongue Out}

Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 5:39pm UTC)
I would say I am proficient in PHP/MySQL (not on Ross' level though I doubt)... JavaScript too.
I know C
Java
Visual Basic (haven't done it for a while though!)
And learning C++ & Air. {Smile}
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (24th Feb 10 at 11:15pm UTC)

I would say I am proficient in PHP/MySQL (not on Ross' level though I doubt)... JavaScript too.
I know C
Java

I've not seen much of your PHP/MySQL work but I suspect you're more that proficient {Smile}

Nick
Very Senior Member

[Avatar]

pmwww
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 12:22am UTC)
CSS, HTML, and some JavaScript.
ashkir

[Avatar]

pmtwitterskypemsnyahoo
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 4:22am UTC)
HTML xP.

I have a book on lua coding. Always wanted to learn lua but I cannot even comprehend Java! Or JavaScript!

Lua is used for addons for games a lot of the time.
BizzD

pm
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 4:31am UTC)
Yup {Cheesy}
Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 6:12am UTC)

I know C
Java

I've not seen much of your PHP/MySQL work but I suspect you're more that proficient {Smile}

Need to learn Classes really - that's something though that my Java work at the moment has helped me with! {Grin}
Ross
Administrator

[Avatar]

Additional Groups:
Support Team

pmwwwtwittergtalkvForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 9:13am UTC)

Need to learn Classes really - that's something though that my Java work at the moment has helped me with! {Grin}

Classes are over rated {Tongue Out} They have their uses but sites/projects which use Classes just for the sake of it really annoy me {Angry}

Michael

[Avatar]
Recoding the future

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmtwittervForum
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (25th Feb 10 at 9:59am UTC)

Classes are over rated {Tongue Out} They have their uses but sites/projects which use Classes just for the sake of it really annoy me {Angry}

Yea, I haven't found a use for them yet! {Unsure}
RuhRoe

pmxfire
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (26th Feb 10 at 1:43pm UTC)
I don't know much =\ I know html, css, learning javascript and Visual Basic.
Marc
vChat Developer
I <3 Rossy

Additional Groups:
Coding Team

pmwww
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (28th Feb 10 at 6:59pm UTC)

Yea, I haven't found a use for them yet! {Unsure}

The only real use for classes is to make things slightly more organized; but unless you have a project with thousands and thousands of lines of code split up across a bunch of files, they're really pointless and more trouble than they're worth.

As for the ones I know...

[X]HTML/CSS - Back when I was 11, I started playing online multiplayer flash games, and people had clan sites for them and I wanted to learn how to make them. I got the hang of (very poor) HTML fairly quickly, and CSS came hand-in-hand with that.

JavaScript - I hadn't even heard of JavaScript until about 2004 when I made my first Proboard and got into modifying that. I didn't really start using it a lot until 2006 when I joined PBS and got into the coding section there. Now I use JS for AJAX applications, to make things look sexy (expanding menus and such), to assist with form inputs, and some other stuff.

PHP/MySQL - I began learning PHP in August of 2006, and picked up a lot of it pretty fast. I had my first site done using it by I believe September of 2006, and since then have been using PHP/MySQL in all of my websites.

Turing - Turing is an introductory programming language with a syntax similar to that of Visual Basic, which I learned in September of 2007. I picked it up very fast and within about a week my teacher was coming to me with questions about it.

Visual Basic - I began learning Visual Basic in the fall of 2007, and as it's very similar to Turing, there wasn't really much that I had to learn. I really don't like VB, so I don't use it much, but I can still create/troubleshoot some fairly basic programs.

C/C++ - I started learning C/C++ in 2008 (I think), and the only learning curve I had was learning the new syntax, but that was picked up in a few weeks and I was on my way. I didn't get into more advanced stuff with it until early last year (3d graphics, networking, etc), but to date I can make advanced programs, provided it doesn't use a lot of complicated Math...I hate Math. {Tongue Out}

Python - I got into a bit of Python a long time ago and created some basic programs, but I never really liked the language, and if you asked me to make a "Hello World" program in it today I would probably have difficulty with it. {Tongue Out}

Batch - I don't know if it would technically be considered a programming language, but I'm quite good at making batch files do interesting things, such as check for and download updates for my games, making me an admin on my school network, unblocking my school's internet, etc.

VBScript - It's pretty much the same as VB, with some slight syntax changes. Every Windows computer has something called wscript.exe that runs VBScript code through the command line; really good for getting user inputs into batch files and such. (And if I remember correctly, IE also supports VBScript on webpages.)

QBASIC - Played around with it a bit a few years ago, haven't touched it in a long while, though.

rroll.to— Shorten a link, rickroll your friends.
dog199200
Re: What Programming Languages do you know? (1st Mar 10 at 1:21am UTC)
i'm bored so i figured i'd complete my list XD

RCSCRIPT - An old custom scripting language that WAS used in the early days of the RealmCrafter game engine. I had to learn this about 2 years ago.

BriskVM - Its a custom programming (scripting) language also known as the source programming (scripting) for Programs like Blitz3D and BlitzMAX. Its a mix between PHP, SQL, and Javascript, with its own custom functions thats are determined by the program it is running under of course.

ToonTalk - I just learned it last year for a school project XX though its fun to toy around with when making robots in school, I honestly don't see any other use for it XD

Printable View